Welcome to Nautilus. We are delighted you joined us. We are here to tell you about science and its endless connections to our lives. Each month we choose a single topic. And each Thursday we publish a new chapter on that topic online. Each issue combines the sciences, culture and philosophy into a single story told by the world’s leading thinkers and writers. We follow the story wherever it leads us. Read our essays, investigative reports, and blogs. Fiction, too. Take in our games, videos, and graphic stories. Stop in for a minute, or an hour. Nautilus lets science spill over its usual borders. We are science, connected.
Publisher and Editorial Director
Editor in Chief
Associate Art Director
Assistant Editor/Video Production Manager
Director of Technology and Development
Online Store/Marketing Intern
Alissa Levin, Point Five Design
NAUTILUS BOARD OF ADVISORS
Adjunct Professor of Molecular, Cellular, and Developmental Biology, Yale
Head of Science & Corporate Communications, The Max Planck Society
Senior Research Associate, Department of Physics, California Institute of Technology
Professor, Chair of Faculty and V.P. for Science, Santa Fe Institute
Managing Director, Providence Equity Partners
Co-Chairman, Applied Minds
Chairman of the Department of Biological Sciences, Columbia University
Scientific Director & CEO, Max Planck Florida Institute for Neuroscience
Pellegrino University Professor in History of Science and Physics at Harvard University
Thomas Campbell Jackson
Venture Partner, Easton Capital Investment Group
Germeshausen Professor of the History of Science, MIT
Associate Professor of Astronomy, Cornell University and the Director of the Carl Sagan Institute
The LG Associate Professor of Media Arts and Sciences at MIT and the Director of the Social Computing Group at the MIT Media Lab
President, Santa Fe Institute
Senior Advisor to the President, John Templeton Foundation
Artist, Philosopher, and Writer
Powell M. Cabot Professor of American Literature, Harvard
Private investor and producer. Former Chairman G.L. Ohrstrom & Co and the Ohrstrom Foundation
External Professor and Past President, Santa Fe Institute
External Professor, Santa Fe Institute
Director of Astrobiology, Columbia University
Curator Emeritus, American Museum of Natural History
Distinguished Professor, Santa Fe Institute
- Effective Date: April 25, 2013
1.) The Type of Information the Service Collects
4. Our servers may also automatically collect information about you, your online behavior and your computer, mobile or other device. The information collected may include, without limitation, the make, model, settings, specifications (e.g., CPU speed, connection speed, browser type, operating system, device identifier) and geographic location of you and/or your computer, mobile or other device, as well as date/time stamp, IP address, pages visited, time of visits, content viewed, ads viewed, the site(s), application(s), destination(s), and/or service(s) you arrived from, and other clickstream data.
5. If you choose to access, visit and/or use any third party social networking service(s) that may be integrated with the Service, we may receive personally identifiable information and other information about you and your computer, mobile or other device that you have made available to those services, including information about your contacts on those services. For example, some social networking services allow you to push content from our Service to your contacts or to pull information about your contacts so you can connect with them on or through our Service. Some social networking services also will facilitate your registration for our Service or enhance or personalize your experience on our Service. Your decision to use a social networking service in connection with our Service is voluntary. However, you should make sure you are comfortable with the information your third party social networking services may make available to our Service by visiting those services' privacy policies and/or modifying your privacy settings directly with those services. We reserve the right to use, transfer, assign, sell, share, and provide access to all personally identifiable information and other information about you and your computer, mobile or other device that we receive through third-party social networking services in the same ways described in this Agreement as all of your other information.
2.) How the Service Uses and Shares Information About You
1. We use personally identifiable information you supply through the Service to provide you with the merchandise, product, service, and/or content you have requested. For example, if you subscribe to any of our publications, we may use your e-mail address to send you a confirmation notice and your mailing address to send you the publication. Similarly, if you enter an online sweepstakes, we will use this information to notify you if you are a winner. We may also use the information to communicate with you about new features, products or services, and/or to improve the services that we offer by tailoring them to your needs.
2. Unless otherwise specified on the Service, we may sell or share information about you and your computer, mobile or other device, including without limitation your personally identifiable information, with our parent, subsidiaries, and affiliates and with carefully selected companies who we think may offer services and/or products that may be of interest to you. If you do not wish to receive future commercial messages from us, simply follow the unsubscribe instructions contained within the message you receive. (But note that you may continue to receive certain communications from us, such as transactional or relationship messages, and/or messages about your account/profile). If you've registered on any part of the Service, please use the mechanism or contact information on the Service that allows you to change or update your member preferences or information, if available, to keep all such data accurate and up-to-date. (Please refer to paragraph 8 below.)
3. We may also allow access to our database by third parties that provide us with services, such as technical maintenance, market research, community and forums management, auction services, and shopping, personal/job search and other classified ads functionality, but only for the purpose of and to the extent necessary to provide those services. And if you choose to purchase merchandise, products and/or services, including without limitation content, on or through features on the Service, we may forward your payment information to third parties for services such as credit card or other payment processing, order fulfillment, credit pre-authorization, and address verification. There are also times when you provide information about yourself to us in areas of the Service that may be managed or participated in by third parties. In such cases, the information may be used by us and by such third party(ies), each pursuant to its own policies. We may also provide your personally identifiable information to our advertisers, so that they can serve ads to you that meet your needs or match your interests. While we may seek to require such third parties to follow appropriate privacy policies and will not authorize them to use this information except for the express purpose for which it is provided, we do not bear any responsibility for any actions or policies of third parties.
4. We reserve the right to access, use, and share with others your personally identifiable information for purposes of health, safety and other matters in the public interest.
5. We may also provide access to our database in order to cooperate with official investigations or legal proceedings initiated by governmental and/or law enforcement officials, as well as private parties, including, for example, in response to subpoenas, search warrants, court orders, or other legal process.
6. In addition, we reserve the right to use the information we collect about your computer, mobile or other device (including its geographic location), which may at times be able to identify you, for any lawful business purpose, including without limitation to help diagnose problems with our servers, to gather broad demographic information, analyze trends, track users' movements around the Service, and to otherwise administer the Service. Geographic location information about you and/or your computer, mobile or other device may specifically be used to show you content and sponsored messaging based on geographic location.
7. We reserve the right to use, transfer, sell, and share aggregated, anonymous data about our users as a group for any lawful business purpose, such as analyzing usage trends and seeking compatible advertisers, sponsors, clients and customers.
8. In addition, as our business changes, we may buy or sell various assets. In the event all or a portion of the assets owned or controlled by us, our parent or any subsidiary or affiliated entity are sold, assigned, transferred or acquired by another company, the information from and/or about our Service users may be among the transferred assets.
9. We reserve the right to identify you from your personally identifiable information and purchase information and/or to merge or co-mingle anonymous or non-personally identifiable data about you, your offline and online behavior, and/or your computer, mobile or other device (including its geographic location), with your payment information and/or personally identifiable information, for any lawful business purpose.
3.) Local Device Storage and Other Tracking Technologies
1. The Service may place and/or store code or other types of information and/or devices (e.g., "cookies") on your computer, mobile or other device ("Local Device Storage"). We may use Local Device Storage for any lawful business purpose, including without limitation to determine which of our messages have been opened by recipients so we can gauge the effectiveness of marketing campaigns, to control the display of ads, to track usage patterns, the movements of individual users, and your geographic location, to help diagnose problems with our servers, to gather broad demographic information, to analyze trends, to conduct research, to deliver editorial content, to record registration and personalization information, and to otherwise administer the Service. For example, if you register on any part of the Service and are given the option to save your user name and password, we may provide this convenience to you via Local Device Storage. Local Device Storage may also collect and store your personally identifiable information, which may be shared with our parent, subsidiaries, and affiliates and other companies.
2. If you do not want Local Device Storage, your computer, mobile or other device may include an option that allows you to not accept it. However, if you disable Local Device Storage, some portions of the Service may not function properly.
3. In addition to Local Device Storage, we may use web beacons, web bugs, clear gifs, and similar technologies (collectively, together with Local Device Storage, the "Tracking Technologies"). We use Tracking Technologies for all or some of the same lawful business purposes we describe above for use of Local Device Storage.
4.) Third-Party Tracking Technologies
5.) Transfer of Information
1. Your information may be transferred to, and maintained on, servers and databases located outside of your state, province, country or other governmental jurisdiction where the privacy laws may not be as protective as your jurisdiction. Please be advised that we may transfer your information to and from any state, province, country or other governmental jurisdiction, and process it in the United States or elsewhere.
6.) Information Security and Notification
1. Because no data transmission is completely secure, and no system of physical or electronic security is impenetrable, we cannot guarantee the security of the information you send to us or the security of our servers, networks or databases. By using the Service you agree that we are not responsible for any inadvertent loss of such information or the consequences thereof.
2. If you elect to store information, such as your personally identifiable information or payment information, where others may access it, we are not responsible for any loss of such information or the consequences thereof. If you lose a computer, mobile or other device, or it is stolen, that contains your personally identifiable information or payment information, it is up to you to take all the steps necessary to protect yourself.
3. In the unlikely event that we believe the security of any of your information in our possession or control may have been compromised, we may seek to notify you. If notification is appropriate, we may notify you via your computer, mobile or other device.
7.) Kids and Parents
1. This Service is not intended for use by children, especially those under the age of 13. No one under age 13 is allowed to register for the Service or provide any personally identifiable information or use our social, community, and public discussion areas; photo and video galleries; bulletin boards; forums; chats; blogs; personal/job search and other classified ads; and elsewhere. Minors between the ages of 13 and 17, inclusive, must get the permission of their parent(s) or legal guardian(s) before making purchases, including subscriptions, on this Service.
2. If your children disclose information about themselves in publicly accessible areas of the Service, they may get unsolicited messages from other parties. Therefore, you should tell them not to do so.
8.) Your access to your personally identifiable information